Radius Window Trim

Friday

This is a small lake side cabin that was remodeled. We made a radius window trim for the gable end lake side window. The construction is relativly quick and straight forward, and looks nice when completed. The basic idea can be applied to interior trim as well, with a few details modified to fit the situation.



Here are a couple of quick photos showing the construction of a raduised exterior window trim.

This particular one is roughsawn pine and is used for a rustic log sided cabin trim, but the basic principles are the same for a more refined version.

I did not plan on going into great detail as the photos are pretty much self explanitory. If you are tackling such a project you probably already have a good knowledge of the basics of wood working.

I am not a math wiz so for such projects I draw the window trim in a cad program and from the drawings I am able to determine the number of segment and the miter angle to use.
Here is my quick homemade trammel. I layout the trim on a piece of melemine or plywood. I then cut all of the pieces and join them together with pocket screws. If I were doing a interior trim I would use a splined miter or a mitered half lap joint. But the pocket screws are quicker with the roughsaw material and hold very well.

Here is a photo with the router trammel setup. I used a 3/4" straight bit and cut the 2" material in 3 passes. To extend the trammel I screwed a piece of lauan to it. This is fine for this application, but for a interior trim I would use something more ridged to be on the safe side. With the half log siding almost none if the edge is exposed. The ridge from routing is fine enough that is could have been sanded off, but a ridged trammel would have eliminated this completely.


This window was a little odd because it was installed a little higher than would have been ideal. As you will notice the window trim intersects with the soffit. I decided to make the window trim extend to the peak to fill the area with one uniform piece instead of placeing a small triangle of siding above the window.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Flux

Blog Directory by Blog Flux

Thanks For Visiting

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP